Applications invited for the position of Casual Scrutineer
- Casual position (with potential to move to permanent).
- Flexible hours including weekends.
- $32.86/hr week days, $37.79/hr weekends.
- Located in South Hobart.
- Opportunity to learn different roles or positions.
- Dynamic, fascinating and super cool worker’s cooperative.
Resource is a national leader in the waste minimisation industry, operating Tasmania's largest reuse centre (the Resource Tip Shop at South Hobart) and other waste reduction and recycling initiatives. Resource is one of the oldest and largest not-for-profit worker’s cooperatives in Australia.
Resource works with communities, businesses and local government to achieve viable, sustainable, best-practice waste minimisation. The Resource Tip Shop delivers accessible, low-cost quality goods, and is a trusted reseller of a wide range of second-hand items. Resource continuously improves its business and operations, supported by innovative community education, within a safe and satisfying work environment.
About the role
As a Casual Scrutineer, you will work as part of a daily crew to accept donations from customers and salvage for reusable items from the tip face and transfer station. You will sort and price items for sale, restock the Tip Shop and sell items at the counter using a point-of-sale system.
The role involves moving between different stations over the course of the day with the aim of efficiently accepting, processing and selling donations, while interacting in a friendly way with customers.
Casual Scrutineers are at the coal face of waste minimisation, with an opportunity to educate the general public about reducing waste, see first hand what and how much is thrown away and develop innovative ways of diverting waste from landfill.
Key selection criteria
- Enthusiasm to join and promote the Resource Work Cooperative.
- Demonstrated understanding of issues of workplace health and safety.
- Ability to work as a member of a team, and comprehend and carry out delegated tasks.
- Proven ability to work alone and show initiative and tackle problems.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and deal effectively with a wide range of people.
- Demonstrated ability to handle money, preferably in a retail environment.
- Willingness and enthusiasm to learn and undertake further training as required.
- Experience bringing in a waste minimisation initiative in your home, work place or a community group.
- Knowledge of co-operative workplaces and/or experience with consensus-based decision making.
- Experience in working in hazardous or outdoor environments.
- Work place level 1 First Aid certificate.
- Medium rigid truck licence and/or forklift licence.
Benefits of working at Resource
The most exciting aspect of being a member of a worker’s cooperative is that you are able to contribute ideas and be part of the decision-making process regarding new projects and initiatives, and the current and future direction of the Co-op.
All workers at Resource have the opportunity to move into different roles or work areas, as they arise and depending on interest and skills.
- Staff discounts and staff functions.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Many cooperative member benefits.
Being fair, non-discriminatory and respectful are important elements of the Resource culture and core values. We value diversity and inclusion and apply these principles in our work place and throughout our recruitment processes. Resource actively encourages applications from people with a diverse range of experiences and backgrounds, regardless of age, ethnicity, cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or different ability.
How to apply
Please provide a maximum 2-page cover letter addressing the selection criteria and outlining your suitability for the role, and a current resume to email@example.com.
For further information about the role refer to the selection criteria and position description attached below, or contact Mona Loofs-Samorzewski, HR Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 6223 3891 (ask for Mona, Jason or Gareth).